Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Favourable for ( অনুকূল (কোনকিছু) ) This situation is favorable to me for doing this.
- Useful to ( প্রয়োজনীয় (ব্যক্তি) ) This book is useful to us for examination.
- Invite to ( নিমন্ত্রণ করা ) I invited him to dinner.
- Occur to ( মনে হওয়া ) The idea never occurred to me.
- Appeal to ( আবেদন করা (ব্যক্তি) ) He appealed to the Headmaster for pardon.
- Consistent with ( সামঞ্জস্যপূর্ণ ) Your action is not consistent with the rules.
- Man of straw ( অপদার্থ লোক ) We do not care a fig for a man of straw like him.
- At least ( অন্ততঃ ) At least one hundred boys will come to school today.
- Take to heart ( মর্মাহত হওয়া ) He took his remark to heart.
- Hard and fast ( বাঁধা ধরা ) There is no such hard and fast rule in this matter.
- Catch red handed ( হাতে নাতে ধরা ) The thief was caught red handed.
- Crocodile tears ( ময়া কান্না ) He shed crocodile tears at our misery.