Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Invite to ( নিমন্ত্রণ করা ) I invited him to dinner.
- Entitled to ( অধিকারী ) He is entitled to a reward for his honesty.
- Retire from ( অবসর লওয়া ) He retired from service on a pension.
- Divide into ( বিভক্ত করা (অংশ) ) It was divided into several parts.
- Accused of ( অভিযুক্ত ) He is accused of corruption.
- Glance at ( চোখ বুলিয়ে নেওয়া ) He glanced at me casually.
- Beat about the bush ( কাজের কথায় না এসে আজেবাজে কথা বলা ) Please come to the point without beating about the bush
- Man of letters ( পন্ডিত লোক ) Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee was a man of letters.
- Birds eye view ( মোটামোটি ধারণা ; এক নজর ) He took a bird’s eye view of the flood-stricken area from an aeroplane.
- throw dust in ones hands full ( কারো চোখে ধূলো দেওয়া )
- Call to mind ( স্মরণ করা ) I cannot call to mind your name.
- By far ( সর্বাংশে ) He is by far the best boy in the class.