Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Despair of ( নিরাশ হওয়া ) Do not despair of success.
- Compare to ( তুলনা করা (অসদৃশ বস্তু) ) Anger is compared to fire.
- Certain of ( নিশ্চিত ) He is now certain of his ground.
- Sure of ( নিশ্চিত ) I am sure of success.
- Fatal to ( মারাত্মক ) he doctor's mistake proved fatal to his life.
- Part from ( বিচ্ছিন্ন হওয়া (ব্যক্তি) ) He parted form his friend.
- Slip of the tongue ( বলায় সামান্য ভুল ) This is a slip of the tongue, don't lay much stress on it.
- At bay ( কোনঠাসা ) The tiger was at bay in the bush.
- In a nut shell ( খুব সংক্ষেপে ) Tell the story in a nut shell.
- Round the clock ( সমস্ত দিন ) He is working round the clock.
- By hook or by crook ( যে কোন উপায়ে ) You must do this work by hook or by crook.
- a bad apple ( কোনো একটা দলের সব ভালোর মধ্যে খারাপ বা মন্দটা ) In any group of average citizens there are bound to be a few bad apples.