Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Hard of ( কম শোনা ) He is hard of hearing.
- Comment on ( মন্তব্য করা ) He commented favorably on the point.
- Appeal to ( আবেদন করা (ব্যক্তি) ) He appealed to the Headmaster for pardon.
- Quick of ( চটপটে ) He is quick of understanding.
- Talk to ( কথা বলা (ব্যক্তি) ) I am talking to (with) Mr. Roy.
- Quick at ( চটপটে ) He is quick at figures.
- Come off with flying colours ( জয়লাভ করা ) Our School team came off with flying colours.
- Stick to ( দৃঢ়ভাবে লেগে থাকা ) He sticks to his decision.
- Man of letters ( পন্ডিত লোক ) Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee was a man of letters.
- Fish in a troubled water ( এলোমোলো অবস্থায় সুযোগ নেওয়া ) He made a lot of money by fishing in a troubled water.
- put a spoke to ones wheel ( কারও উন্নতিতে বাধা হওয়া )
- At last ( অবশেষে ) I got my missing book at last.