Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Proportionate to ( আনুপাতিক ) Punishment should be proportionate to offence.
- Burst out ( ফেটে পড়া ) He burst out laughing at my joke.
- Divide between ( ভাগ করা (দুটি বা দুজন) ) Divide the apple between Raqib and Shafique.
- Late in ( দেরি ) Why are you so late in coming?
- Limited to ( সীমাবদ্ধ ) Invitation was limited to members only.
- Excel in ( তুলনামূলক ভাবে সুন্দর হওয়া ) He excels in painting.
- put the cart before the horse ( স্বাভাবিক অবস্থা উলটাইয়া দেওয়া ; অস্বাভাবিক অবস্থা পরিণত করা )
- In the nick of time ( ঠিক সময়ে ) The school team arrived in the nick of time.
- pound of flesh ( এক চুল এদিক ওদিক নয় )
- Above board ( সংশয়হীন ভাবে নির্দোষ ) His activities are open and above board.
- Head and ears ( সম্পূর্ণরূপে ) He is over head and ears in debt.
- Take to heart ( মর্মাহত হওয়া ) He took his remark to heart.