EXAMPLE He brought off the passengers on the wrecked ship.
Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Vain of ( অহঙ্কারী ) She is vain of her beauty.
- Obstacle to ( বাধা ) Poverty is often obstacle to higher studies.
- Engaged in ( নিযুক্ত (কাজে) ) I was engaged with him in talk.
- Superior to ( উৎকৃষ্টতর ) This type of rice is superior to that.
- Look after ( দেখাশোনা করা ) There is none to look after her.
- Quarrel for ( কলহ করা (কোনকিছু) ) They quarreled with one another for the property.
- Hue and cry ( শোরগোল ) The villagers raised a hue and cry to see the thief.
- Achilles heel ( দুর্বলতা বা ত্রুটি ) He is trying to hide but everybody knows his achilles' heel
- Fish in a troubled water ( এলোমোলো অবস্থায় সুযোগ নেওয়া ) He made a lot of money by fishing in a troubled water.
- Come off with flying colours ( জয়লাভ করা ) Our School team came off with flying colours.
- Now and then ( মাঝে মাঝে ) He comes here now and then.
- On the contrary ( বিপরীত পক্ষে ) I do not hate him: on the contrary I love him.