SYNONYM decline ; stop functioning.
EXAMPLE His health broke down for hard work.
Our car broke down at the side of the highway in the storm.
Our teacher broke the final project down into three separate parts.
Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Inferior to ( নিকৃষ্ট ; হীন ) He is inferior to his neighbour.
- Engaged in ( নিযুক্ত (কাজে) ) I was engaged with him in talk.
- Admit of ( স্বীকৃতি পাওয়া ) Your conduct admits of no excuse.
- Zeal for ( প্রবল উৎসাহ ) He has a zeal for social work.
- Escape from ( পলায়ন করা ) The prisoner escaped from the jail.
- Envious of ( ঈর্ষান্বিত ) I am not envious of his riches.
- A bolt from the blue ( সম্পূর্ন অপ্রত্যাশিত ) The news of his father's death came to him as a bolt from the blue.
- clever hit ( কথার মতন কথা )
- As if ( যেন ) He swims so beautifully as if he is the Olympic gold medalist.
- At all events ( যাই ঘটুক সব ক্ষেত্রেই ) I shall stand by him at all events.
- Round the clock ( সমস্ত দিন ) He is working round the clock.
- To the letter ( অক্ষরে অক্ষরে ) He followed my advice to the letter.