Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Beware of ( সতর্ক হওয়া ) Beware of pick-pockets.
- Object to ( আপত্তি করা ) He objected to my proposal.
- Respect to ( সম্বন্ধে ) We are talking with respect to that matter.
- Distinguish between ( প্রভেদ করা ) Distinguish between a phrase and a clause.
- Search for ( অনুসন্ধান ) Their search for the thing was of no avail.
- Offended with ( বিরক্ত (ব্যক্তি) ) I am offended with you at your conduct.
- Cut to the quick ( মর্মাহত হওয়া ) I was cut to the quick by his words.
- throw dust in ones hands full ( কারো চোখে ধূলো দেওয়া )
- Achilles heel ( দুর্বলতা বা ত্রুটি ) He is trying to hide but everybody knows his achilles' heel
- Do yeoman's service ( বিশেষ উপকার করা ) Raja Rammohan Roy has done yeoman's service to our country.
- A black sheep ( কুলাঙ্গার ) Tom is a black sheep in their family
- Now and then ( মাঝে মাঝে ) He comes here now and then.