Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Rest upon ( নির্ভর করা ; বিশ্বাসস্থাপন করা ) I rest upon your promise.
- Excuse for ( অব্যাহতি দেওয়া ) He will not be excused for coming late.
- Wait on ( সেবা করা ) The nurse waited on the patient.
- Diffident of ( সন্দিগ্ধ ) I am diffident of success.
- Faithful to ( বিশ্বস্ত ) The dog is faithful to his master.
- Occupied with ( নিয়োজিত (কাজ) ) He is occupied with his studies.
- By no means ( কোন ভাবেই না ) I shall by no means call on him.
- On the spur of the moment ( মুহুর্তের উত্তেজনায় ) He did it on the spur of the moment.
- vile sycophant ( খঁয়ের খা )
- Household word ( সকলের পরিচিত নাম ) Mother Teresa's name has now become a household word.
- Out of doors ( বাহিরে ) It is rather cold out of doors.
- Out of sorts ( ঈষৎ অসুস্থ ) He is out of sorts now.