Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Worthy of ( যোগ্য ) He is worthy of our praise.
- Offend against ( লঙ্গন করা ) You have offended against good manners.
- Compete with ( প্রতিযোগিতা করা (কোন একজন) ) I competed with him for the first prize.
- Proportionate to ( আনুপাতিক ) Punishment should be proportionate to offence.
- Abide by ( মেনে চলা ) One should abide by the rules
- Compare with ( তুলনা করা (সদৃশ বস্তু) ) Rabindranath may be compared with Shakespeare.
- Come off with flying colours ( জয়লাভ করা ) Our School team came off with flying colours.
- By fits and starts ( অনিয়মিত ; মাঝে মাঝে ) He works by fits and starts.
- Take one to task ( তিরস্কার করা ) He was taken to task for negligence of duty.
- Set free ( মুক্ত করা ) The prisoners were set free.
- Red letter day ( স্মরণীয় দিন ) The 21 February is a red letter day in the history of Bangladesh.
- harp on the same string ( এক কথা বারবার বলা )