Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Subject to ( শর্তাধীন ) This is subject to approval of the committee.
- Anxious for ( উদ্বিগ্ন ) He is anxious for getting a job.
- Prompt in ( চটপটে (উত্তর) ) He is prompt in his answer.
- Respond to ( উত্তর দেওয়া ) Nobody responded to my call.
- Compete with ( প্রতিযোগিতা করা (কোন একজন) ) I competed with him for the first prize.
- Zeal for ( প্রবল উৎসাহ ) He has a zeal for social work.
- Above board ( সংশয়হীন ভাবে নির্দোষ ) His activities are open and above board.
- A blessing in disguise ( বিপরীতে হিত ; প্রথমে খারাপ হিসেবে মনে হলেও পরবর্তীতে ভালো হয় ) Sam's motorcycle accident was a blessing in disguise because he got enough insurance money.
- Catch red handed ( হাতে নাতে ধরা ) The thief was caught red handed.
- A rainy day ( দুর্দিন ) Everybody should save something for rainy day.
- In full swing ( পুরাদমে ) The school is now in full swing.
- Out of date ( অপ্রচলিত ) This fashion is now out of date.