SYNONYM swindle ; fraud ; a stratagem for gain ; to get something, such as money by deceiving someone.
EXAMPLE He was the victim of an internet scam. The company scammed a lot of money from unwary customers.
Next : extrovertPrevious : webinar
Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- True to ( বিশ্বস্ত ) He is true to his master.
- Arrive at ( পৌঁছানো ) We arrived at the station in time.
- Weary of ( ক্লান্ত ) He is weary of hard life.
- Qualified for ( যোগ্য ) He is qualified for the post.
- Warn of ( সতর্ক করা ) He warned me of the danger.
- Retire from ( অবসর লওয়া ) He retired from service on a pension.
- By the by ( প্রসঙ্গক্রমে ) By the by I came to know that he was ill.
- Die in harness ( কর্মরত অবস্থায় মারা যাওয়া ) Dr. Sen died in harness.
- At a stretch ( একটানা ) He can run ten miles at a stretch.
- Gift of the gab ( বাককটুতা ) An advocate should have the gift of the gab.
- Widow's mite ( দরিদ্রর ক্ষুদ্র দান ) A widow's mite is no less important than a large contribution of a rich man.
- Head and ears ( সম্পূর্ণরূপে ) He is over head and ears in debt.