Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Limited to ( সীমাবদ্ধ ) Invitation was limited to members only.
- Pass for ( গণ্য হওয়া ) He passes for a clever man.
- Favour with ( অনুগত করা ) Would you favour me with an early reply?
- Informed of ( অবহিত ) I was not informed of your misfortune.
- Blush with (for) ( লজ্জায় রাঙা হওয়া ) She blushed with shame.
- Proportionate to ( আনুপাতিক ) Punishment should be proportionate to offence.
- By chance ( দৈবাৎ ) I met him on the way by chance.
- In the long run ( পরিশেষে ) You will have to suffer in the long run.
- Above all ( প্রধানত ; সর্বোপরি ) We should be kind, polite, and above all honest.
- Part and parcel ( অবিচ্ছেদ্য অংশ ) Discipline is part and parcel of administration.
- Man of letters ( পন্ডিত লোক ) Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee was a man of letters.
- be on ones back ( একেবারে কুপোকাত )