Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Disgrace to ( কলঙ্ক ) He is disgrace to his family.
- Capable to ( সক্ষম ) He is capable of doing this alone.
- Officiate in ( পরিবর্তে কাজ করা (পদ) ) He officiated for me in that post.
- Compete for ( প্রতিযোগিতা করা (কোন কিছু) ) He competed for the first position.
- Attend to ( মনোযোগ দেওয়া ) Attend to your lesson.
- Qualified for ( যোগ্য ) He is qualified for the post.
- Read between the lines ( তাৎপর্য বোঝা ) Try to read between the lines of the letter.
- Cats and dogs ( মূষল ধারে ) It was raining cats and dogs.
- Slip of the tongue ( বলায় সামান্য ভুল ) This is a slip of the tongue, don't lay much stress on it.
- Hard and fast ( বাঁধা ধরা ) There is no such hard and fast rule in this matter.
- Take to heart ( মর্মাহত হওয়া ) He took his remark to heart.
- Beat black and blue ( প্রচন্ড প্রহার করা ; উত্তম-মধ্যম দেওয়া ) They beat the thief black and blue.