Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Sensitive to ( সংবেদনশীল ) She is sensitive to cold.
- Listen to ( শোনা ) Listen to the news on the radio.
- Attend to ( মনোযোগ দেওয়া ) Attend to your lesson.
- Heir to ( উত্তরাধিকারী (সম্পত্তি) ) He is the heir to his uncle’s property.
- Favour with ( অনুগত করা ) Would you favour me with an early reply?
- Congratulate on ( অভিনন্দিত করা ) I congratulate you on your success.
- Fish out of water ( অস্বস্তিকর অবস্থায় ) When he came to the village, he felt like a fish out of water.
- Sink in ( আবদ্ধ হওয়া, ডুবে যাওয়া ) He sank in mud or the ship sank into the sea.
- At a loss ( হতবু্দ্ধি ; কিংকর্তব্যবিমূঢ় ) He was at a loss and did not know what to do.
- Maiden speech ( প্রথম বক্তৃতা ) His maiden speech fell flat on the audience.
- under the weather ( ভাল না ; অসুস্থ ) I've been feeling under the weather
- harp on the same string ( এক কথা বারবার বলা )