Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Heir of ( উত্তরাধিকারী (ব্যক্তি) ) He is the heir of his uncle.
- Zest for ( অনুরাগ ) She has no zest for music.
- Ashamed of ( লজ্জিত ) He is not ashamed of his conduct.
- Angry with ( রাগান্বিত (ব্যক্তি) ) He is angry with me for speaking against him.
- Certain of ( নিশ্চিত ) He is now certain of his ground.
- Make for ( অগ্রসর হওয়া ) The ship made for England.
- Cats and dogs ( মূষল ধারে ) It was raining cats and dogs.
- slap on the wrist ( মৃদু শাস্তি ) Although he broke the rules, he was only given a slap on the wrist
- be up and doing ( উঠে-পড়ে লাগা )
- At dagger drawn ( খড়গহস্ত ) The two brothers are now at daggers drawn.
- In vain ( বৃথা ) All his attempts were in vain.
- As it were ( যেন ) The sun is, as it were , the lamp of the universe.