Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Quick of ( চটপটে ) He is quick of understanding.
- Mourn for ( শোক করা ) Don't mourn for the dead.
- Qualified for ( যোগ্য ) He is qualified for the post.
- Subject to ( শর্তাধীন ) This is subject to approval of the committee.
- Admit to ( ভর্তি করা ) Khadil was admitted to university.
- Displeased at ( অসন্তুষ্ট ) I am displeased with him at his conduct.
- At one’s own sweet will ( খুশি মতো ) He still does it at his own sweet will.
- By hook or by crook ( যে কোন উপায়ে ) You must do this work by hook or by crook.
- From hand to mouth ( দিন আনে দিন খায় ) The poor man lives form hand to mouth.
- In a fix ( মুশকিলে পতিত ) He is in a fix and does not know what to do.
- Hard and fast ( বাঁধা ধরা ) There is no such hard and fast rule in this matter.
- In the mean time ( ইতিমধ্যে ) Lila will come here to-night. In the mean time you should get her room ready.