Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Admit of ( স্বীকৃতি পাওয়া ) Your conduct admits of no excuse.
- Hope for ( আশা করা ) Let us hope for the best.
- Lay by ( সঞ্চয় করা ) Lay by something for the old age.
- Enquire into ( অনুসন্ধান করা (কোন ব্যপার) ) He enquired of me into the matter.
- Senior to ( বয়সে বড়, উচ্চপদস্থ ) He is senior to me by four years.
- Due to ( কারণে ) His absence is due to illness.
- under the weather ( ভাল না ; অসুস্থ ) I've been feeling under the weather
- by dint of ( ফলে (সাধারণত বল প্রয়োগের ফলে) )
- After all ( সবকিছু সত্ত্বেও ) After all, he is a patriot.
- word of no implication ( কথার কথা )
- In lieu of ( পরিবর্তে ) Give me this pen in lieu of that.
- At dagger drawn ( খড়গহস্ত ) The two brothers are now at daggers drawn.