Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Endowed with ( ভূষিত ) He is endowed with talents.
- Indifferent to ( উদাসীন ) He is indifferent to our problem.
- Fatal to ( মারাত্মক ) he doctor's mistake proved fatal to his life.
- Prohibit from ( বারণ করা ) I prohibited him from going there.
- Zeal for ( প্রবল উৎসাহ ) He has a zeal for social work.
- Comment on ( মন্তব্য করা ) He commented favorably on the point.
- In vain ( বৃথা ) All his attempts were in vain.
- Cut to the quick ( মর্মাহত হওয়া ) I was cut to the quick by his words.
- At the eleventh hour ( শেষ মুহূর্তে ) he doctor came to the patient at the eleventh hour.
- To and fro ( এদিন-ওদিক ) Being unable to make up his mind the man is walking to and fro.
- Through thick and thin ( বাধা বিপত্তির মধ্য দিয়ে ) Reveka followed her husband through thick and thin.
- in the doldrums ( উদাসীন ভাবাপন্ন )