Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Quarrel for ( কলহ করা (কোনকিছু) ) They quarreled with one another for the property.
- Make out ( বুঝতে পারা ) I cannot make out what you say.
- Dislike for ( অপছন্দ ) He has dislike for dogs.
- Pity for ( করুণা ) Have pity for the poor.
- According to ( অনুসারে ) According to his order i went there.
- Vexed for ( বিরক্ত (জিনিস) ) He is vexed with me for opposing him.
- slap on the wrist ( মৃদু শাস্তি ) Although he broke the rules, he was only given a slap on the wrist
- Hard and fast ( বাঁধা ধরা ) There is no such hard and fast rule in this matter.
- Fall flat ( ফলপ্রসূ না হওয়া ) My advice feel fiat on him.
- On the spur of the moment ( মুহুর্তের উত্তেজনায় ) He did it on the spur of the moment.
- Stick to ( দৃঢ়ভাবে লেগে থাকা ) He sticks to his decision.
- As it were ( যেন ) The sun is, as it were , the lamp of the universe.