Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Quarrel over ( কলহ করা (কোনকিছু) ) They quarreled with one another over the property.
- Favourable to ( অনুকূল (ব্যক্তি) ) This situation is favourable to me for doing this.
- Depend on ( নির্ভর করা ) Success depends on hard work.
- Warn of ( সতর্ক করা ) He warned me of the danger.
- Compare to ( তুলনা করা (অসদৃশ বস্তু) ) Anger is compared to fire.
- Prohibit from ( বারণ করা ) I prohibited him from going there.
- Birds eye view ( মোটামোটি ধারণা ; এক নজর ) He took a bird’s eye view of the flood-stricken area from an aeroplane.
- to the bad ( মন্দাবস্থায় ; ঘাটতি অবস্থায় )
- At arm’s length ( দূরে ) Try to keep the bad boy at arm’s length.
- End in smoke ( ব্যর্থ হওয়া ) All his plans ended in smoke.
- Take one to task ( তিরস্কার করা ) He was taken to task for negligence of duty.
- but me no buts ( কিন্তু কিন্তু করো না )