Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Certain of ( নিশ্চিত ) He is now certain of his ground.
- Look at ( তাকানো ) Look at the moon.
- Sympathy for ( সহানুভূতি ) I have no sympathy for him.
- Lament for ( বিলাপ করা ) She lamented for her child.
- Preside over ( সভাপতিত্ব করা ) He presided over the meeting.
- Hard of ( কম শোনা ) He is hard of hearing.
- Hue and cry ( শোরগোল ) The villagers raised a hue and cry to see the thief.
- Ins and outs ( খুঁটিনাটি সব কিছু ) I know the ins and outs of the matter.
- be up and doing ( উঠে-পড়ে লাগা )
- At dagger drawn ( খড়গহস্ত ) The two brothers are now at daggers drawn.
- At all events ( যাই ঘটুক সব ক্ষেত্রেই ) I shall stand by him at all events.
- to the bad ( মন্দাবস্থায় ; ঘাটতি অবস্থায় )