Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Control over ( নিয়ন্ত্রণ ) He has no control over his brother.
- Late in ( দেরি ) Why are you so late in coming?
- Proportionate to ( আনুপাতিক ) Punishment should be proportionate to offence.
- Offended at ( বিরক্ত (কোন কাজে) ) I am offended with you at your conduct.
- Die by ( মারা যাওয়া (বিষ) ) He died by poison.
- Taste for ( রুচি ) She has no taste for music.
- At all events ( যাই ঘটুক সব ক্ষেত্রেই ) I shall stand by him at all events.
- Man of letters ( পন্ডিত লোক ) Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee was a man of letters.
- by dint of ( ফলে (সাধারণত বল প্রয়োগের ফলে) )
- A blessing in disguise ( বিপরীতে হিত ; প্রথমে খারাপ হিসেবে মনে হলেও পরবর্তীতে ভালো হয় ) Sam's motorcycle accident was a blessing in disguise because he got enough insurance money.
- Ins and outs ( খুঁটিনাটি সব কিছু ) I know the ins and outs of the matter.
- Take one to task ( তিরস্কার করা ) He was taken to task for negligence of duty.