Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Commence on ( শুরু করা ) Our examination commences on the 3rd July.
- Talk of ( কথা বলা (কোন জিনিস) ) I am talking to (with) Mr. Roy of (about, over) the matter.
- Jump to ( তাড়াহুড়ো করে সিদ্ধান্তে আসা ) Do not jump to a conclusion without much thinking.
- Engaged to ( বাগদত্ত ) Lila was engaged to him.
- Careful of ( যত্নবান ) He is careful of his money.
- Officiate in ( পরিবর্তে কাজ করা (পদ) ) He officiated for me in that post.
- In vogue ( চালু ) This custom is not in vogue now.
- Chip of the old block ( বাপকা বেটা ) He is a chip of the old black.
- Beat black and blue ( প্রচন্ড প্রহার করা ; উত্তম-মধ্যম দেওয়া ) They beat the thief black and blue.
- Come off with flying colours ( জয়লাভ করা ) Our School team came off with flying colours.
- loose cannon ( অপ্রত্যাশিত ) He is a bit of a loose cannon.
- till the cows come home ( অনেক সময় ধরে ) I could play outside till the cows come home