SYNONYM abdicate ; abjure ; relinquish ; resign ; give up ; forsake ; desert .
OPPOSITE maintain ; retain ; stay ; uphold ; support.
EXAMPLE The young man abandoned his wife.
Next : Abase
Learn English by Lessons
Shade & ShadowCommonly Confused Words
Shade means relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body. Shadow means a dark shape created by an object blocking a source of light.
Scene & SceneryCommonly Confused Words
Scene means a part of a play, book, film etc in which a particular event takes place. Scenery means the appearance of a place.
Play & GameCommonly Confused Words
Play vs Game: Play means the activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage.
Learn words by topics :
- Attend on ( সেবা করা ) She attends on her mother.
- Capable to ( সক্ষম ) He is capable of doing this alone.
- Liable to ( দায়ী ) He is liable to fine for his misconduct.
- Void of ( বিহীন ) He is void of common sense.
- Desire for ( ইচ্ছা ) He has no desire for fame.
- Indebted to ( ঋণী ; কৃতজ্ঞ ) I am indebted to him for this help.
- breathe out ( নিঃশ্বাস ত্যাগ করা ) At last, he breathed his last breath out, and that was the end.
- Out of sorts ( ঈষৎ অসুস্থ ) He is out of sorts now.
- Take one to task ( তিরস্কার করা ) He was taken to task for negligence of duty.
- Wild goose chase ( পন্ডশ্রম ) Do not waste time in wild goose chase.
- vile sycophant ( খঁয়ের খা )
- On the spur of the moment ( মুহুর্তের উত্তেজনায় ) He did it on the spur of the moment.